The launch of DomestiCare, is set to revolutionise healthcare in South Africa by providing an estimated 1.5 million domestic workers with access to a nationwide private health service, at an affordable cost to their employers of just R170 a month.Account Manager
The launch of DomestiCare, is set to revolutionise healthcare in South Africa by providing an estimated 1.5 million domestic workers with access to a nationwide private health service, at an affordable cost to their employers of just R170 a month.
Gardeners, au pairs, drivers and house keepers are often dependent on State clinics or the ad hoc goodwill of their employers for healthcare, but DomestiCare bridges the gap between private sector health providers and low-wage domestic workers.
Launched by the CareCross Health Group, which has the largest national network of GPs, Radiologists and Pathologists in the country, DomestiCare enables employers to provide their staff with occupational and private primary healthcare including GP consultations, medicines, x-rays and blood tests for R170 a month. For an additional R25 a month they can cover basic dental and eye care.
Employers can register online at www.domesticare.co.za and there is a choice of two products DomestiCare (R170 a month) and DomestiCare Plus (R195 a month), with a range of payment options.
Member benefits of DomestiCare:
- choice of private CareCross doctor from a list of over 1500 countrywide
- no limits to CareCross doctor visits and no co-payments charged
- required medicines (chosen from a specific list) free of charge
- free X-rays as requested (from a specific list) by the CareCross doctor
- free blood tests as requested (from a specific list) by the CareCross doctor
- Radiology and pathology tests are also covered as well as some maternity and HIV benefits.
Not included in DomestiCare are: chronic medicine (taken every day for at least six months), dental and optical care, hospitalization, after hour visits and specialist visits.
Member benefits of DomestiCare Plus:
- All DomestiCare benefits as well as those listed below
- Basic dentistry (fillings, cleaning and extractions, up to 6-month waiting period)
- Basic optometry (eye tests, basic frames and lenses or contact lenses every 24 months, with up to a 6-month waiting period)
“In addition to the immediate benefits of providing primary medical care to low-wage earners there are long-term benefits for the economy,” said Dr. Reinder Nauta, Managing Director of CareCross Health. “Keeping the South African workforce healthy, could dramatically reduce absenteeism, employee turnover, increase employee loyalty, improve productivity, and increase employer satisfaction. Public health research has also shown that improved health for the main income earner in a household results in an improved health situation for dependents.”
Registration for these DomestiCare plans is a straightforward, easy online process by means of a dedicated website with creditcard and EFT facilities. There is no complicated underwriting and endless form filling.